Canada Student Visa (Study Permit)
Canada being a home of 21 of the world’s top 500 universities and 32 in the top 1,000, offers some of the world’s best study programs. Leading research facilities and academic institutions are one of the additional attributes of Canadian study.
Canadian Study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows international students to study at a designated learning institution in Canada.
How to obtain a Study Permit
In order to be eligible to submit an application for a Canadian study permit, a prospective student must:
- Obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institute in order to submit an application for a study permit.
- Prove that he or she has sufficient financial funds to support first year’s tuition fees, living expenses and return transformation to his or her own country.
- Have a police clearance certificate. Applicant with a criminal background may be refused as they can pose a risk to Canadian security.
- Be in good health. Applicants are requested to complete a medical examination.
- Obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or Quebec.
- Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of his or her stay authorized by the study permit.
Along with the above mentioned documents, an applicant may also be required to submit the following supporting documents
- Passport for the main applicant and every family member included on the application.
- Two passport size photos of the main applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back.
- If applicable, an applicant has to submit a photocopy of marriage certificate.
- A candidate has to submit any further document if required by specific visa officer.
Student direct stream: A fast track option
A fast track option via the Student Direct Stream is provided to expedite the processing of study permit for international students from key Asian Countries. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) takes standard 20 calendar days to process an application under Student Direct Programs. The Student Direct Stream was launched in 2018 and it includes applicants from following countries:
- The Philippines
To qualify for the Student Direct Stream an applicant must submit the following proofs:
- Have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated learning institution.
- Must be a legal resident living in the above mentioned countries.
- Live outside of Canada when apply for the study permit.
- Have proof of the paid tuition fees for the first year of study in Canada.
- Have most recent school transcript (secondary and post-secondary).
- Must obtain a police clearance certificate before submitting your application.
- Obtain a language test result of at least a minimum of 6.0 in each skills on the IELTS (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or A TEF score equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Score of minimum of 7 in each skill (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking).